Friday, October 2, 2015

My Review: What A Time To Be Alive


What's good y'all, it's me again yourboy_john aka 2 Scoops aka John "don't forget the C" Williams. I'm going to give my take on one of my favorite albums of the year, the Future and Drake collabo What A Time To Be Alive (WATTBA).

When I first heard about this album happening, I knew I'd seen this movie before. An artist is hot, Drake notices, then he hops on a track with them, and on said track the only part people want to listen to is Drake's verse. For example, the Versace remix by Migos feat. Drake or Tuesday remix by ILoveMakonnen feat. Drake or most recently My Way remix by Fetty Wap feat. Drake. So it's only natural for Drake to work with Future because he's been pretty hot in these streets and DS2 is 100% fire. But the only difference with WATTBA is that Future out shines Drake on this project, which is a little crazy when you think about.

Oh yea, can anyone tell me what this collabo actually is. I thought it was a mixtape but then it cost like 10 bucks on iTunes so that makes it an album I guess?

But anyways lets get back to the music.

  • This is essentially a Future album with a bunch of Drake features and I love it 
A lot of the songs sound like they could've been on Futures most recent album, DS2, and I'm ok with that because after DS2 all I wanted was more Future. During every song I'm thinking "where's Drake at?............Oh, sweet there he his." So can you really call this a full collabo, my opinion is no but I'm not complaining because all the songs are bangers.

  • Even though this seems more like a Future project, Drake still finds a way to shine
Coming into this I had ZERO idea how Drake was going to sound like. Cus first of all, I think we can agree that Future is "harder" than Drake. So hearing about this collabo at first I didn't Drake would mesh well with Futures style of hip hop. But it all ended well. The song Live From The Gutter, Drake went off lowkey. Who knew Drake could spit about that gutter life. On Digital Dash, I'm not going to lie, Drake surprised me a little bit. That's a good thing.

  • The songs that sound more Drake influenced are really good, Diamonds Dancing is my favorite song on the album
Even though Future was essentially in charge of this project, Drake still finds a way to get his work in to. Diamonds Dancing, Plastic Bag, Change Locations, and 30 for 30 freestyle feel more like Drake songs than Future songs. Diamonds Dancing goes all the way in, it's super smooth and it's basically Drake and Future singing a duet which I never thought would happen in my lifetime. Plastic Bag is your classic anthem for all them strippers out here makin a livin. In Change Locations, Drake has a crazy nice verse and 30 for 30 Freestyle is classic Drake.

  • Why is Jumpman such a great song?
I know I said Diamonds Dancing is my favorite song off the album but Jumpman tho. That's the song you play after you played a couple of throwback songs at a party. Jumpman is the type of song you play when read your email before going to class and you found just got paid. Jumpman is the type of song you play when that one girl you've been peepin at in class comes up to you and starts talkin to you and in your head you're like, "Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman....." There's a plethora of scenarios where this song is appropriate.

  • WATTBA is one of my favorite albums of the year
This isn't the very best of the year but it's for sure in my top 5 along with these works of art (in no particular order) Compton, To Pimp A Butterfly, Coming Home, and Surf





No comments:

Post a Comment